Iguazu Falls – South America (Argentina & Brazil)

(1) Iguazú National Park – Argentina

June 14, 2019

Iguazú Falls – Misiones Province – Argentina

Gallery

***

(2) Iguaçu National Park – Brazil

June 15, 2019

Iguaçu Falls – Paraná State – Brazil

Gallery

***

All photographs by J.J. Montagnier

14 – 15 June 2019

© Copyright. All Rights Reserved. Gypsy Café

Comments

8 Responses to “Iguazu Falls – South America (Argentina & Brazil)”

1. Josh Gross says:

Amazing photos, Jacques! Iguazú is an amazing place: one of the last strongholds for jaguars in Argentina. I’m happy that you were able to go there!

• Jean-Jacques says:

Thank you Josh! Glad you enjoyed them. In both national parks there are signs indicating the presence of jaguars and outside of Puerto Iguazu, the town closest to the national park in Argentina, there is a sign on the motorway warning drivers to be careful of jaguars. It was quite amazing to see that since one imagines them to be so rare. I kept a special eye open for them on one of the less popular trails that clearly indicated that it was jaguar territory. I did see animals – monkeys, birds and agoutis – but, alas no jaguars. Although to be honest, I’m not sure whether one really wants to “come across” a jaguar unexpectedly… All in all Iguazu is a super destination and also very family friendly. While I was there I heard (second hand) that they actually close the park/s when there are jaguar sightings. Hope you make it there too, if you haven’t been yet!

2. I’m glad I didn’t meet up with a jaguar when I was there. Beautiful place, and beautiful photos. Truly majestic.

• Jean-Jacques says:

Hello Katharine, it’s good to hear from you! Yes, I think most people would rather not stumble upon a jaguar.. (although on the other hand would be quite something to see one in the wild.)

It is truly a beautiful place as you say. I was very lucky and had good weather while there – it was about 28 degrees daily with clear skies much of the time. In fact Iguazu exceeded all my expectations! Glad to hear that you could make it there too. I heard that apparently a decade or two ago the water was always clear, but due to upstream deforestation in recent years the water has turned brown and is hardly ever clear anymore. Was it clear when you were there?

3. Debra says:

Beautiful photos Jacques. The air must have been full of Spirit.
    I bet a jaguar saw you. 🙂
    much love, in lak’ech, Debra

• Jean-Jacques says:

It was indeed, Debra. I especially enjoyed the quiet trails. Overall there was a high activity of insects, small birds and small animals. I have never been in a place with so many butterflies before – butterflies everywhere! 🙂 It made me wonder if most places on the planet did not have much more wildlife activity than before – and of course the answer must be yes. It was quite obvious how much deforestation has taken place in large parts of South America as we flew to Iguazu – it was only as we approached the airport during the last 20 or 15 minutes of the flight that I could see jungle below. Yes, most likely a jaguar saw me, but did not want to scare me.. 😉
      Thanks for your comment, Debra!
      in lak’ech,
      Jacques

4. Gloria says:

Very nice pics Jacques! Glad to know that your having a good time. All the best from Lima.